ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 54-57

Perioperative complications after revascularization in diabetic and nondiabetic chronic limb-threatening ischemia patients and its relation with preoperative hemoglobin A1c


Jain Institute of Vascular Sciences, A Unit of Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. S Roshan Rodney
Jain Institute of Vascular Sciences, A Unit of Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijves.ijves_42_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) reflects average blood glucose over a 2–3 month period. Patients with an elevated HbA1c with and without diabetes have an increased risk of adverse outcomes following surgical intervention. Our aim is to determine whether elevated plasma HbA1c level is associated with high perioperative morbidity and mortality in chronic limb-threatening ischemia (CLTI) patients undergoing peripheral revascularization. Materials and Methods: This is a single center, retrospective analysis of 307 CLTI patients who underwent lower limb revascularization (open/endovascular/hybrid) at Jain Institute of Vascular Sciences over a 1-year period from January 2018 to December 2018. Patients were categorized into two groups as either diabetic or nondiabetic based on their history and preoperative plasma HbA1c level ≥6.5% or <6.5%, respectively. Diabetics were stratified into four subgroups (HbA1c ≥6.5%–7.4%, HbA1c 7.4%–8.9%, and HbA1c ≥9%) and controlled diabetes mellitus (HbA1c <6.5%) and nondiabetics into two subgroups (HbA1c <6.0 and HbA1c ≥6%–6.5%. The primary endpoints include perioperative major adverse cardiac event (MACE), major adverse limb event (MALE), and mortality. Results: Of 307 patients, 253 (82.4%) were diabetics and the rest 54 (17.6%) were nondiabetics. On comparison with other HbA1C groups, among diabetics those with HbA1c >9% had a significantly higher incidence of perioperative MACE 7 (12.07%), MALE 3 (5.17%), and death 6 (10.34%), and among nondiabetics, those with HbA1c levels (6%–6.5%) had a higher incidence of perioperative MACE 3 (9.68%), MALE 1 (3.23%), and death 1 (3.23%), but the difference was not statistically significant. Conclusion: HbA1c levels serve as an independent predictor of untoward events in CLTI patients with or without diabetes undergoing revascularization.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed62    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded10    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal